Rosemary Potato Soup
Let’s talk sprinkles. Specifically savory sprinkles because I’m deeming that a thing. Like woodsy bright rosemary sprinkles. All over this soup. They are my new favorite kind of sprinkles, after chocolate and rainbow of course.
There is something about cold, dreary weather that just screams for soup in the evenings. Usually when the weather drops below 75 degrees I want to go into hibernation mode, which for me means cozy pajamas all day, snuggling under fuzzy blankets, inappropriate amounts of Dude Perfect (best youtube videos ever…Coby is the best), giant bowls of soup, and fresh crusty bread. I honestly don’t think I would leave the house if it wasn’t for things like needing food and social interaction.
But once you take a bite of this soup with the rosemary sprinkles I think you will agree: hibernation is the way to go. Sure, you may feel a little self conscious gorging yourself on cheesy, bacon-loaded soup while watching rail thin models pose for their photo-shoots, but they are too skinny anyway (those photos tho!).
If you are a novice cook, soup is one of the easiest things you can start off with and the awesome thing is you can throw just about any veggie you have on hand into your soup and it will taste amazing. This rosemary potato soup is best when it has had time to simmer for hours on the stove (or in the crockpot) because all the flavors come together and the potatoes cook just perfectly. I am especially into the velvety texture of the broth- it is everything a potato soup broth should be. If you don’t have your own rosemary bush I highly recommend getting one. It is one of the easiest things to grow either in the ground or in a pot. If gardening isn’t your thing, pick some up at the grocery store because fresh rosemary is really what makes this soup amazing.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 T. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. cream
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 T. fresh rosemary, finely topped
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T. fresh rosemary, chopped
- Crisp bacon in a large skillet. Crumble and set aside.
- In bacon grease saute leeks and celery until tender and translucent. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt butter. Whisk in flour. Whisk in 1 c. of chicken broth, 1/4 c. at a time, whisking until completely smooth before adding next 1/4 c.
- Whisk in milk, cream, and remaining chicken broth. Stir in potatoes, 2 T. fresh rosemary, veggies, and S&P. Over medium-high heat bring a to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce heat, stir in sour cream and simmer at least 4 hours (or move to a crockpot set to low for at least 4 hours).
- Before serving, stir in bacon and 1/2 c. cheddar cheese- stirring until cheese is completely incorporated. Top with additional cheese and remaining rosemary (or more bacon, sour cream etc). Enjoy!
Go Team Coby!