Chile Relleno Chicken Tacos
i can’t believe its already over. christmas comes and goes sooo fast. i remember as a kid feeling like it would n-e-v-e-r get here and now as a person who attempts to adult i can’t seem to get my act together before it’s already come and gone.
kinda like the christmas cards i started working on back in september but never sent. meh. they will still be good next year. i will probably lose them between now and then but if not, expect to get a stellar christmas card in 2017 people on my mailing list (that’s you, mom!).
anyway….i hope you had as wonderful a christmas as i did. and i hope it was as stress free as this easy dinner. seriously- tacos are my spirit animal. y’all know how i feel about all things tex-mex but tacos are a step even higher than all the other tex-mex dishes. minus guacamole. obviously that guy is in his own category. but tacos are all the things you want in a casserole put inside an edible envelope. who can be salty about that?? not me.
and chile relleno tacos are even better. they are here for the win. sure, you dont quite get the crunch that comes with a deep fried chile relleno but trust me, you won’t miss it. and i say that as one who loves all things crunchy (minus wasabi peas. they are wayyyyyyy too hot). and if you’re really jonesing for the crunch hardcore, top your taco off with some crushed-up tortilla chips. ohmygosh. i just now thought of that. scratch what i said before- YOU MUST TOP YOUR TACO OFF WITH CRUSHED-UP TORTILLA CHIPS.
woah. sorry to go all caps-lock on you. i got a little crazy thinking about these tacos plus the chips. i apologize. but not really because that sounds like the most delicious combination of chile relleno chicken tacos evah.
and now that the holidays are 2/3 of the way over (we still have New Year’s to go, but don’t worry, i got your back for that one) you deserve a nice, easy, stress-free taco dinner. we all do. so break out the crock pot and get to slow cookin’.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 T. garlic powder
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 can green chiles, chopped
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 T. cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Hot sauce, as needed
- In the slow cooker combine the chicken breast and next 5 ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.
- When chicken is done cooking, shred with forks and stir to help chicken mix with the juices in the slow cooker. Leave slow cooker on 'keep warm' setting.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas. Divide chicken among the tortillas, top with cheese and an avocado slice. Sprinkle with cilantro and drizzle with hot sauce if you need more heat. Give it a little spritz of lime and enjoy!