hello friend. i just want you to know that i feel your pain. i too ate 5 million cookies this past weekend. along with all the other foods. it was delicious. and totally worth it. but now…and i can’t believe i’m about to say this…i’m kinda ready for a salad. ya know?
normally, i feel that anything that has a veggie or a fruit should be deemed a salad (hello chocolate covered strawberry salad!) but today i’m going to offer up to you a real salad. a salad that dare i say it, is too legit to quit. but don’t worry, we can still be friends. because this salad is not going to be boring or plain or depressing. cross my heart. in fact, this salad is man-approved (that’s a thing now). my hubby has requested this salad repeatedly and won’t stop talking about it. and i made it like 2 weeks ago.
growing-up i pretty much associated salads with iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and more ranch dressing than veggies. not healthy and not even fun. but now. there’s a whole world of salads out there for us to enjoy. veggie lovers rejoice. and yes, i know everyone has a greek salad recipe. but this is the best one. no seriously. just make it once and you will see.
i can’t promise it will undo all the things we ate this past weekend, but it’s a start. a delicious start. roasting the chickpeas takes the salad to a whole new level of amazingness and you will be glad you did it. add in the rest of the veggies and whip-up the creamy, protein fortified dressing. and for you vegans out there, you can totally sub vegan yogurt in the dressing recipe and make this a vegan salad.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 1 T. EVOO
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. lemon pepper
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/4 t. cayenne
- 4 c. salad greens
- 1 c. black olives, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 small peppers, julienne
- 1/2 c. feta, crumbled
- 1 T. Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 T. EVOO
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450. Combine chickpeas with next 5 ingredients. Roast chickpeas for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a large salad bowl combine chickpeas, salad greens, and next 5 ingredients. In a smaller bowl combine greek yogurt with next 4 ingredients. Whisk to combine. Drizzle over salad and toss. Serve and enjoy!
and now i’m off to clean my home which somehow became a complete mess even though Lane and i were gone for half a week. seriously y’all, how does this ah